Top Reasons to Choose Fake Stone Walls Over Natural Stone Walls
Stunningly beautiful and naturally translucent, man-made, fake stone walls are an ever-more popular alternative to natural stone walls. Here is why.
Top Reasons to opt for Fake Stone Walls
One of the main reasons to choose faux stone wall panels over solid stone panels is that they are significantly lighter in weight.
6-mm thick solid stone panels would, for example, weigh an average of approximately 16 kg/m2. Fake stone panels of the same thickness weigh approximately 11 kg/m2.
This difference is substantial enough to allow fake stone panels to be used where structural requirements would prohibit installation of solid stone.
It also means panels:
- Are easier to handle, which removes the need for time-consuming, expensive surface preparation and speeds up installation times
- Can be installed on virtually any substrate using simple, inexpensive methods (i.e. interlocking channels, adhesives, concealed screws)
The cost of installing fake stone is subsequently significantly lower than solid stone installation.
Naturally fragile, somewhat brittle and inflexible, solid stone also carries inherent risks of:
- Breaking/chipping, especially during transportation/installation
- Moisture/water penetration
Increasing natural stone’s flexural strength/impact resistance while preserving its stunning natural beauty, faux stone panels substantially reduce these risks.
Finally, stone utilisation is significantly greater in faux stone panel production than in solid panel production. Take marble, for example: yielding just 45 square-metres’ worth of solid stone panels, one cubic-metre of raw material can provide up to 135 square-metres’ worth of bonded stone panels.
What’s more, the tone and texture of natural stone can vary enormously between blocks of raw material. This frequently necessitates use of several blocks to achieve tone/texture consistency across projects.
Substantially reducing the impact of sourcing raw materials on our planet’s natural resources, fake stone panels also:
- Significantly reduce the cost of raw materials per square metre
- Allow for greater consistency in the tone/texture of end products
Environmentally friendlier, more cost-effective, stronger and longer-lasting than solid stone, fake stone walls offer virtually unlimited architectural/interior design potential.
Get in Touch